Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Move over, Martha

Pre-housewives days, before I actually loved being a domestic diva, I was a horrible cook. My sister, S, was the little cook in our family. She was always so motherly and domestic, I just knew she was going to be a mommy and wife someday. I was the artist of the family. I was crafty and drew and made all kinds of things. I was not the girl you went to when you wanted lunch made. College was no different. I had the dining hall. And if that was closed, I could always turn to my trusty Macaroni Easy Packs, or tuna sandwiches- no cooking required.

So, it came as no surprise that when I got married to Southern Husband, we were both immediately bombarded with wife/cooking jokes.

"You married a girl who can't make cereal!" or "That girl can't even cook toast right!"

It honestly never bothered me. Until I began to take my job as wife and homemaker seriously. Then the jabs began to bug me. So I began collecting cookbooks. I tried my hand at actually making stuff from scratch- not just out of a box. I definitely had a few flubs, but I learned from them and kept on trudging. I'm getting better. My family gives me great feed back on my Three Cheese and Beef Pasta Shells, and I even get requests for it! My cooking confidence is growing by leaps and bounds and I'm happy to be able to provide Southern Hubby with delicious meals.

Since it's ever so cold here in Texas, this is how I let my dough rise. I boiled some water, put my cookie cooling rack over the pan and set my dough on there.

If you're looking for this to be a "toast burner come fabulous professional caterer" story, then I'm sorry to disappoint. I'm still not a natural cook. I have to work at it. And follow the recipe to the letter. Once while watching Martha, I saw her making some cookies. The guest asked her about the amount to put in, and she replied, "Oh, just a tablespoon or two..." and immediately began to pour out the amount without a measuring spoon. So she may have been off a smidgen, but that is something I don't have the eye for. I don't know what a cup looks like. I don't know how many "pinches" make a teaspoon. Take away my measuring tools and you have taken away my ability to cook.

So you could have knocked me over with a feather when my first attempt at baking bread/rolls from scratch yielded something that was actually delicious! So delicious, in fact, that Southern Hubby and I ate a dozen of my rolls between us, y'all!! Anyone been to Texas Roadhouse (they're not just in Texas, dears) and had a good helping of their sweet rolls? Okay, so these don't taste exactly like them, but they are pretty darn close. Next time I may add a bit more sugar and divide the flour between all-purpose and bread flour.

I think I may have to skip this week's Think Thin Thursday. Cause those rolls aren't making me think thin at all! They're making me think how much I want to make some more and eat them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner! Here's the recipe, although unless you have a bread machine, you will have to modify it some. Check the reviews for tips on what to do. Or you can always just give me a holler.

Happy baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment