Wednesday, October 7, 2009

We are SO fake!

Can I rant a bit? Can I step on my soap box for a little while?

When did we become so fake? When did there become more of us that is unreal than real?

And we're not just talking about breast implants anymore, ladies. Now, Ms. Average Girl can have fuller, lusher, blonder hair, longer eyelashes, tanner skin, plumper lips, long acrylic nails, and even a bigger butt! We are becoming liars, girl! Liars! We are filling our children and men's heads with unnatural and unattainable beauty. It isn't real... none of it!

What happens when you pull the hair cap too low on your forehead when getting a spray tan and you end up with a very visible white streak? What happens when you don't glue your eye lashes on the right way and they start peeling off by the end of the night? What happens when you lose a fake nail in the lasagna? What happens when your husband wants to run his fingers through your hair and pulls out an extension? How would you get out of that lie?

(No offense, but I've never been a fan of hair extensions. The whole thing just ooges me out. I have a fake hair phobia. If it's not on my head, then I don't want to touch it.)

To me, all of this is cheating. It's being untruthful about who I really am. Don't get me wrong- there is nothing wrong with accentuating the fab parts about you that you do have, but no one should have you feeling inadequate about stuff the world deems you don't have.

But don't get me wrong, I'm no saint. I've spent many a lunch break in the tanning bed, many hundreds of dollars for the perfect highlights job, and many a wasted hour gazing at the nose I absolutely hate. I only have myself to blame. And you only have yourself to blame.

We do this to ourselves, ladies. We complain and gripe about the women in the glossies that survive on carrot sticks and lettuce, all the while clamoring for the products that promise us the biggest lashes, reddest lips, whitest teeth and thickest hair. We spend millions of our hard earned money on things that tell the world that we essentially feel we aren't good enough. We hit our men over the head when they oogle a platinum blonde with double DDs. Yet, with every padded bra we buy, we are pushing that unrealistic concept of beauty just a bit further out of reach. And every time I showed off my fake and bake tan, I was telling people that this color of skin was perfection- everything else just wasn't good enough.

Isn't it time we come out from under the wigs and Spanx and pop off those fake nails and show who we really are?

When will we be done with hiding our true selves?

When can we stop being embarassed about being a size 12, or an A cup, or fair skinned, or thin lipped, or *gasp* not really blonde?!

When will we be proud of the beautiful women God made us to be? Isn't it enough that we're beautiful in His eyes? Because it really should be.

Have a happy and beautiful day, my gorgeous readers!!!
xoxo Y

PS. I'll be back tomorrow with more fall decor. For some reason, I was really ticked off about this today and had to get it off my chest! Thanks for letting me vent!

No comments:

Post a Comment