Monday, October 26, 2009

Preppy Blogger of the Week: Queen Bee Swain

A staple of the preppy bloggers, Queen Bee Swain is known for her humerous stories, fun pictures and love of all things regal and preppy! It was an honor to interview her along with my bbm bff, Kappa Prep.






1. How did you come up with your blog name?

 I have been a coxswain for nine years- I was on the boys team in college (the gender of the coxswain doesn't matter on college teams)- my mother always said that I looked like the Queen Bee in the boat directing the rowerboys about. A few of the rowerboys actually will call me their QueenBee!




2. What preppy item could you not live without aka the one thing you would take with you to a deserted preppy island?
2- I would have to say that I'd bring a book- Social Climbers by Beth Dunn. It's like Bergdorf Blondes/Debutante Divorcee and The Preppy Handbook had a baby- a fun and light read with lots of lists of all things Preppy. I'm the kind of person that is always reading a book and the thought of being stuck somewhere with nothing to read is my worst nightmare- thankfully this book is one that you can read over and over again!



3. Who is your preppy icon?
3- Kate Middleton (Prince William's girlfriend), although she is more of a Sloane Ranger (the British version of a Preppy). She is always so well turned-out and posh-looking. She is an even bigger fan than QueenBee of knee-high boots. Kate's taste is understated, chic and timeless- everything one would hope for from -fingers crossed- the future Queen of England. She is a fan of skiing, shooting and polo- all things the British Royal Family are very keen on and recently has started to lend her efforts to charity galas. Ooooh I have such high hopes for her and plan on throwing an engagement and a wedding party for her!


4. Where do you find your daily blog inspiration?
4- My inspiration comes from the myriad of other Preppy bloggers out there and various bits of my day-to-day life- whether it be a piece of clothing I just have to gush about, to a recipe I need to share or something that happened in my life I thought was worthy of sharing. I'd also have to say that above all else, I try to put out only positive elements. The J.M. Barrie quote, "Those who bring sunshine into the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves." is a personal source of inspiration and a goal I strive to achieve on a day-to-day basis.

5. What is your favorite preppy photo of yourself?

5- This photo is of QueenBee, mid August this year at the 106th NWIRA Regatta, with the trophy for the Men's Championship Eight (the fastest race and boat in the regatta). The trophy is as old as the regatta and insured for just over $8,000. The official regatta photographer insisted that a picture of just me and the trophy be taken as it is clearly almost as large as I am. What is fun about this too is that I am in my favorite Lilly Pulitzer sundress and in winning this race, I beat two of the rowerboys that raced in the Men's Eight for the USA and won bronze at the Beijing Olympics!




6. If you could have one celeb's wardrobe including shoes and bags, whose would you get?
6- I am going to have to say Princess Marie Chantal of Greece. She is a Miller sister (their father founded Duty Free shops)- one sister married a von Furstenberg, one married a Getty and MC married the heir to the Greek crown. Like Kate, MC is always so polished looking and anything she wears is nothing short of flawless- you know that she understands and appreciates grooming. I believe that she'd have a killer wardrobe with all of her royal galas and functions she attends, plus she is a fan of fur! *





7. What clubs, societies, or volunteer organizations are you involved in? Were you in a sorority in college?

7- I attended a Catholic university so we did not have a Greek system (I am not sure if this is applicable to ALL Catholic schools or not, but most of my friends that attended Catholic universities also did not have a Greek system). This is the only aspect of my college career that I wish I could have changed, I always thought it would be great fun and had I gone to University of Wisconsin surely would have pledged. I am a current member of the Junior League of Saint Paul, Minneapolis Rowing Club and University Club of Saint Paul (a former F. Scott Fitzgerald haunt). I just do not know how I'd live without philanthrophy, rowing and a great pool!


8. What were your plans for the weekend?
8- This past weekend was the first weekend that I have been home in over a month- I've been on the road for family events and regattas! I excused myself from an event on Friday evening to go shopping- totally needed some "me" time. I went out on Saturday evening in Uptown for a triple-birthday for a few college teammates and then on Sunday I volunteered at the North Star Challenge regatta as the dockmaster.


9. Describe your perfect preppy outfit. Don't forget to include accessories.

9- I'm sure it's cliche, but I'm going to go with a Lilly Pulitzer shift- maybe something from the Fall 2008 line- as it could be worn with a turtleneck underneath and knee high boots when the temperature takes a nose-dive South, or just by itself with strappy sandals. For sure my KEP Designs twisty pearl necklace and my pearl earrings and the Brahmin toasted almond croc purse of mine. I'm fairly certain that you'd be able to look poised and polished just about anywhere in this outfit!

*Editor's note: As much as I love Miss Queen Bee Swain, I am not a fan of fur (unless it is faux, of course!) so just a reminder that all the Preppy Blogger of the Week's answers do not always reflect the attitudes or values of the this blog owner! :)

Happy Monday!! :)
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment