Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Farewell

I don't know why the death of Senator Edward M. Kennedy affected me so much. A stalwart knight for the people of his country, I assumed his looming figure would always be found wandering the halls of Congress. Heroes aren't supposed to die, right?

Senator Kennedy, the last of Kennedy brothers, was a hero of mine. Sure he had past indiscretions. Sure there were controversies. (Find me a politician that doesn't have one or the other.) But he was a champion of the people. He was a champion for the animals, too. He fought his whole career for something that was so near and dear to his heart. And through that, he managed to become a hero to so many, including myself.
The Kennedys made it okay to be Democrat, and a Catholic one at that. (lol)I can't imagine what this world would be like if Jack and Bobby had lived- had not had their promising lives taken away. I do know it would have a been a better one. In a country that is so divided right now, we need a Jack, or a Bobby. We needed our Teddy.

That family crossed party lines. Jackie O. was a fashion icon for both Republican women and Democratic women. And both liberal and conservative girls dreamed of marrying handsome Jack Jr.. I was 16 when he got married, so I missed my chance! Darn it!

I think that's why I took it so hard. He was the last of a wonderful dynasty. The last of a political family that people actually admired. To me, it sort of signals the end of a political era as well. Back then, no matter who your president was, you respected them. You didn't make them prove they were American by birth certificate. You didn't put a bumper sticker on your car telling a certain state that it was 'missing their idiot.' It goes on both sides. We're all guilty of it. And I feel it is quickly making this country so divided and broken. And we know all too well what happens when this country divides.

I've been in mourning this past weekend. I couldn't even watch the funeral. I don't know why, but seeing his casket would sort of prove that he was gone. I can't deal with that right now. To me, he's still walking up and down those halls of Congress. He's slowed down a bit due to age. But he's still there. And Splash is trotting down the hall right beside him.

May you rest in peace, Senator. Know that what you accomplished in your life will impact generations. Know that you were a wonderful man who fought demons and won. God bless the Kennedy brothers.
xoxo Y

No comments:

Post a Comment