Tuesday, June 30, 2009

A Spirit of Meekness

The lovely view from our front porch of our town's annual 4th of July celebration.
These were take this past Saturday.

Southern Hubby often jokingly calls me his 'little firecracker.' I playfully feign hurt feelings, but inside I know he's right. And I'm proud of it. I let my opinions be known to all who will listen. I can be demanding and bossy. I'd like to think I'm a girl that knows what she wants and how to get it. I'm very self-assured and confident about who I am on the inside.

And while the world may applaud me and consider me a strong individual, I'm beginning to see that God doesn't share those same views. In our society, we are taught to be self-assertive and self- assured. Go for what you want! Stand up for your rights!

While pursuing your dreams is a positive thing, the way we go about that can often make us look very poorly in His eyes.

Meekness is defined as having, "a calm temper; not easily provoked; humbly patient or docile; gentle and kind." To me, those sound like definite positives. But the dictionary goes on to say it is, "tame; gutless; spiritless." When I see those three things describing a person, the first word that pops into my head is weak. And we deplore the weak. We applaud and admire the strong and confident.

Why does society cast down on the meek so greatly when it as seen as beautiful in the eyes of God and is a characteristic of Christ himself?

“Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls”
-Matthew 11:29.

I am not viewing my spirit in such a positive light now that I see that this trait is prevalent within my heart. And when I look back on the phases of my life, it makes sense that at those times when I was most uninhibited, most unyielding, and most determined, I was the farthest away from God. I prayed only when I needed things. I did not attend church. I did not talk to God or go to Him with problems. I could solve them myself. I did not need a relationship with Him because I was a self-sufficient girl. Independent and strong, I could take care of myself.

A person who is self-assured and has everything going for them in life is not a person that is going to willingly see God or His wisdom. They already know everything. God preaches that the stubborn will not be taught. And their ears are closed to Him and His word anyway.

I was like that. And now, looking back, I am officially mortified...embarrassed for my sweet husband. Often boisterous at parties and very quick to get into political and environmental debate, he was often witness to my unmeekness. I know I'm probably not the only one that is guilty of this. Have any of you struggled with this, or didn't even know it was a problem?

In my next post, we'll look at the things we can do to receive the grace of meekness as it is not something that we find naturally in ourselves. And I'll touch on why being meek does not = doormat.

Happy rainy days in Texas! Yay for some relief from this heat!
xoxo Y

No comments:

Post a Comment