Thursday, July 2, 2009

Are You Meek?

"The man that is truly meek is the one who is amazed that God and man can think of him as well as they do. And treat him as well as they do." *
- M. Lloyd-Jones

Since I've been studying and praying about the spirit of meekness, I've come across so many valuable information. So much so, that I've decided to make this a sort of mini-series, as I cannot possibly fit it all in one blog post. And hopefully the time in between will give you a chance to think and pray about how you view yourself in accordance with being meek.

As I was reading and studying, I began to feel the inner struggle with the ingrained sense of loathing and pity for the meek. Never in my life have I wanted to outward and inwardly have the qualities of a meek person. Those who are meek get run over by the world. They get unapologetically stepped on. They receive no fame or accolade. They don't concern themselves with how others view them and therefore are often outcasts. No one cares what they have to say. Since they aren't the loudest and since they don't step out forcefully to be heard, their opinion must not matter anyway.

After taking a step back, I realized that I was describing qualities of Christ. He wasn't boastful or prideful. He didn't care what others thought about him when they saw Him with the rejects of society- prostitutes, tax collectors, beggars, and the maimed. He let Himself to be crucified without a fight. He let the world run right over Him, never once pitying Himself.

Wow.

How small do I feel now, knowing that I had such a detestable view on the meek- on all the qualities that Christ, himself had. And even now that I know that to be meek is to be in the image of Christ, I still struggle with it. I know it is going to be a difficult and even life-long challenge. This is not a character trait that is easily changed. It is deeply ingrained in us by society. In our self-centered world, being meek gets you nothing. Be the best. Be the first. Laugh the hardest. Talk the loudest. Scream the longest. Me. Me. Me.

And what is harder still is to have meekness in my heart. I can aim to be less impulsive, to slow down my busy life, and stop trying to seek revenge. But can I do it on the inside? Can I endure injury and injustice with patience and without resentment? Can I be serene and quiet in my heart, where no one can see but God?

Do you see how this is becoming so much more than being mousy and shy? I can see now that being meek takes incredible strength and diligence. It takes much more bravery than shouting above the crowd or getting into a heated debate. To have biblical meekness takes a tremendous amount of courage and grace. It flows out of the confidence that you know that God is in control of your life. You can let things be. You can let yourself be injured without revenge, knowing that He will right all wrongs.

After going a bit deeper into what I means to be a meek woman, how are you now seeing yourself ? What are your feelings now towards those you once thought of as 'doormats?' If you're anything like me, you stand in awe of them. And you are recognizing the enormous battle you face with society and within yourself.

In my next post, I'll hit on some more unknown character traits of the unmeek and the meek. And I'll talk about how we can begin our journey on finding our quiet spirit.

Happy peaceful Wednesday!
xo Y

No comments:

Post a Comment