Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Mrs. Miss. or Nothing?

What's in a name? What is proper? What will undoubtedly offend?

Yesterday, as I was sorting our mail out into his and her piles, I almost missed one of my pieces of mail. It was addressed to a Mrs. Southern Hubby. I'm so used to seeing Mrs. Southern Housewife, it caught me off guard. I showed it o SH and looked, thought about it for a minute, smiled and said, "I like seeing your name like this." He said it made him feel proud.

Nowadays is it supposed to be offensive to women. "Why should my name not be written? I'm a person, too! He doesn't own me, so use my name!" But is it really? Why are feminists so positive that it that it's males trying to keep women down?
Often, when writing correspondence, I will address it to Mrs. Hubby's Name. I do it for several reasons. I believe that you should exalt your husband. Be proud to have his name as your name. Show him and others that you respect and think so much of him that you'd rather have people address you by his proper name.

Way back when, (when our country had morals) women were often addressed as Mrs. Hubby's Name. Does that mean they were never called by their first name? Absolutely not. But it was a formal way of addressing women and you showed respect to a stranger by calling them by their proper name. When you became better friends, then you could get more casual.


It was not unusual for women to sign documents, write books, and have stationary made all with their proper names. Why has this become so antiquated and even better, why has this become offensive and taboo?

When someone, especially a male, addresses me as Mrs., I feel a bit honored. Even if it's Mrs. Southern Housewife, there is something about including the fact that I am a married woman that makes me feel respected and viewed as wholesome. In fact, long ago unmarried women who were considered virtuous and in good standing, were addressed as Miss. What an acknowledgement it must have been to know that others around you consider you to be a women of morals and intelligence!

Nowadays, I rarely see that happen. What was bad about that, I wonder? Feminists object to women being seen as sex objects rather than potentially hard workers or monetarily successful. But I wonder how many 'loose' and unmoral women end up in happy and Godly marriages? I wonder why a man would want to marry a women who boasts about not being virtuous when it is obviously something a man looks for in a women they want to spend the rest of their life with.

If this isn't showing tying women with sexuality, then I don't know what does! But I'm sure they would say that these women have the right be like this! It's their prerogative! Let's just see how happy they end up in life. And let's just see what sort of man this kind of behavior attracts.

I'm not embarrassed of my husband, and I'm not embarassed of his name! He is of moral character, a wonderful provider as well as husband and I would be darn proud to be associated with him, let alone his name. Ladies, I say we start a trend. I say we stand up for the respect of our husbands and honor him in this way. Don't be afraid. Start using Mrs. and Miss to address women you respect. Start addressing your letters to Mrs. Hubby's Name. Start referring to yourself as Mrs. Hubby's Name. Be proud of him! Err, well, unless you're married to OJ. Then you might want to keep that a secret! lol

No comments:

Post a Comment