Thursday, February 5, 2009

Express Mail Cookies

As I mentioned previously, I am working on a care package for my sissy who's away for college. Every so often, I like to pack some goodies to let her know we're thinking about her. She's in that 'college' stage where she feels she's an adult and pretty much knows everything in the world. Little does she know that life is just beginning. Your college years are not the end all be all of life experiences. She has so much to look forward to....so many ups and some downs, too. She had a rough freshman year, grade wise, and this past semester as a sophomore she made the dean's list! I was so proud of her. I know the first year away from home can be very distracting- things pulling you this way and that- away from what you're really there for. So I'm really happy she's getting things settled and starting to take her learning seriously.

It really feels like just yesterday I was on that same campus. I can't believe I've been out of college for so many years already. Is it dumb to feel like an old lady at 28? ;)

Anyway, I thought I'd share some of the contents of her package.

Back when we were dating, Southern Hubby told me about this sweet lady, Mrs. M at his church. He didn't know her too well, just from living in the same small town and going to school with her son. When he graduated from high school, she sent him some self addressed stamped post cards that had a note telling him to send drop these in the mail whenever he had a hankering for some homemade cookies. I just loved that idea and knew I would do it too when my sister went off to school.

Unfortunately, SH never sent any cards back to Mrs. M. I thought that was strange and asked him why and he said he felt bad making her do that. Silly boy. I probably would have too, but I know that she would have been really happy to do this for him. She wouldn't have given it to him otherwise. When I first sent these to my sister, I gave her three. She only sent back one. She told me later that she felt the same way SH did. I made sure she knew I would be happy to do it next time around.
She is really into arts and crafts like me. Actually, all but one of my sisters is very crafty so it's fun to trade the info we know. She's been really into knitting lately but I know she probably doesn't have a ton of supplies so I set her up with some yarn, needles, a 'learn to knit' DVD and a couple other knitting notions that I tucked into the coin purse I made her. The only thing she requested was black pens so I got to fill the rest of the box with fun Valentine goodies- pink and red socks, candy, yummy smelling lotion, and a book of soduko puzzles (which I still do not know how to do!). I really wanted to make her a knitting needle zippered pouch. I made the one below for myself a while back and loved it, but unfortunately I did not have a long enough zipper. :( I'm hoping to get one asap so I can get this mailed out soon!

On a final note, I did get some positive responses for Crafty Tuesdays, so I will be starting that up next week. I already know what I'm going to post about! I'm hoping this will help me follow through on all the ideas that I have swirling around in my head but never end up doing. I'm into aprons right now in a big way, so I'm sure I'll be making some of those. Can't wait! So get those brains churning and the imagination going!

Happy crafting to all!

xoxo Y

No comments:

Post a Comment