Saturday, March 14, 2009

Stirring up the hornet's nest

As one commenter put it, "You stirred up a hornet's nest."

I guess I sure did. And while I do think it's wonderful to see so many women passionate about their faith, I was trying to avoid judgement. I think I did so for the most part. There are so many open minded people out there and for that I'm grateful.

To clear a bit up, a decision to leave the Catholic faith has not been made yet. And to be honest, I have yet to be confirmed into the Catholic faith. I call myself one because I grew up as one. I attended Catholic school. I was baptized and married in the Catholic church. I made my Holy Communion and receive the Eucharist. I live the life of a Catholic, but I can't agree with it all. And I'm finding that there are little things here and there in every single 'religion' that I don't agree with. And quite frankly, I do not think that I will find one that aligns with every single one of my beliefs.

I just need to find some place to belong. I want God present. I want fellowship with others on a regular basis. It seems to me that the Episcopal church may just be a compromise but I'd rather do this than be discouraged and not attend church at all. Maybe that's a horrible way of thinking about it to some people out there. But, I don't see it that way. The Episcopal church we are currently thinking of attending hosts the Fireproof Marriage series we've been going to these past couple weeks. We love going and we're definitely bonding with some of the members. I'm feeling more of a sense of belonging in these past couple weeks than I ever did at my current Catholic church.

And yes, I did get involved in this church. I served as head of the Special Needs/Bereavement committee in the Women's group; SH and I were members of the Young Marrieds group; I attended studies and lectures there, and we volunteered from time to time. I tried to make it work there. I wanted to belong there. And I still do.

But at this point in my life, I just don't see myself as a member there. Maybe 10 years down the road I may fit in better. Maybe I'll feel His presence there and I know this is where I belong. But for now, I'm just going to keep on truckin'. I'll keep hopping from one church to the next to see where we fit in. I pray that we find it soon as I know that searching for a church home can be a timely and an emotionally draining task.

So I'd like to thank y'all that offered prayers. I'll keep everyone posted. And I'm curious to know...What makes YOU feel like you belong in a certain church? Do you have those feelings of home when you're at your church? Why? I'd love to know your stories and experiences of Him letting you know he was present!

Happy in Him,
xoxo Y

No comments:

Post a Comment