Sunday, March 15, 2009

21 day challenge

There's something that happens between the time you take a vacation and the two weeks that follow. It seems like every good routine that you had established up until your vacation started just goes out the window in favor for easier and lazier routines.

So, grab your morning coffee and let's take a look at all the routines that this Southern Housewife has let go of...

1. Rising early to pray and spend time with the Lord- It seems that since we got back from Mexico I've been getting up with Southern Hubby or about 15 minutes before which enables me to quickly throw together some lunch for him, get a pot of coffee started and maybe if I have a couple extra minutes, run a brush through my hair. Yes, isn't this the way a hard working husband wants to see his wife in the morning- eyes barely cracked open, with disheveled hair, holding a crumpled lunch bag with God knows what inside, blowing morning breath kisses in his general direction? That just screams put together housewife, doesn't it?

2. Portion control- The extra 7 lbs on the scale just about sums it up. Grossness.

3. Working out- OK, so I wasn't really perfect about doing this even before we went on vacation, but it was always on the list of things to do! And it goes hand in hand with getting rid of those nasty 7 lbs that aren't letting me button my jeans comfortably.

So, what's a good southern housewife to do?

I'm going to turn it around, that's what!! It's about time I get out of the lazy vacation spell Mexico has so deviously cast on me. First off, let me show off the cleanly scrubbed gorgeous floors I had promised from last week.

Aren't they beautiful?! But guess what- this girl didn't do them. Disappointing, I know. My wonderful SH did them. What a sweetie poo he is, but what a lazy girl I am! I meant to get to them this week, honest! But things get in the way- like blogging, taking pictures with your new camera, and that wretched but addicting show, The Real Housewives of New York (PS- Not a one of them are true housewives.) Excuses, excuses.

Now, let's get back on track and make some goals for this week via the Homemaker's Haven wonderful outline! I love her outline of things to do on Mondays. They are simple, yet highly effective and make it easy to plan out your goals for the week. These are the three things I'm wanting to get back into the habit of doing.

1) Begin Your Day Early With God’s Word- My lack of doing this these past couple weeks is the major reason why my day get's started off on the wrong foot. It is AMAZING how much better your day goes when you rise early and spend some time with the Lord each and every day. I still have been doing my bible studies and prayers, but I do these when SH leaves for work around 8:30. I don't complete it until around 9:30ish and by that time, I should have gotten so much more accomplished! Just making this one change with impact my days for the better dramatically.

I have decided to join Sarah Mae's 5:16 Girls Club. Named after Ephesians 5:16, it encourages wives to get up early before her family. This ensures two things, spending quiet time with the Lord and being prepared spiritually and physically to serve your family's needs. (Be sure to click on all three links as they are filled with wonderful information.)

2) Complete Your Morning Routine- As of now, my morning routine consists of prayer time, making coffee, getting SH off with a nice lunch, a smile and a prayer, taking Southern Puppy out for a potty break and feeding him, and cleaning up the kitchen after breakfast. I also like to glance at my binder for my schedule and things that need to get done. Mondays are for meal planning as well as making the grocery list and gathering coupons.

3) Plan A Project/Goal for the week- This week, I think I'm going to tackle the carpets. Steam cleaning can be a pain, but it's nice to see all the gunky water come out from your carpets and down the drain into dirty oblivion. And of course, my goal is to rise early and get my day started the right way!

Who's ready to change her lazy ways? Let's make this a personal challenge! I've read that it takes approximately 21 days to make something a habit. So that means, as of April 5th, we should be well on our way to becoming a better, healthier, happier, more productive wife. . Twenty one days is not that long. We can keep a 3 week attention span without losing interest, right? Let's do it...who is with me?

Post about all the things that you've let go in your life that have lead you down an unproductive road.
  • Then write about the things you want to change and make a new habit in these three weeks.
  • Each Monday, post how you did. Did you complete your goal for the week? When did you slip up and why? Be honest. Let's hold each other accountable!
  • Don't forget to leave comments on the others in the group. Encourage each other! Leave tips on how you were able to get through the week.
  • Sign the linky below so we all know who's participating.
  • Steal this button, put it on your sidebar and link up to this post. It makes it easier to see who's participating.
  • On April 5th, blog about how you think you did. What did you get accomplished in your house? What new habits did you make? How did your changes affect your household, your family, your appearance?

Good luck, ladies! We can do it!

Happy Habit-makin'!

xoxo Y


No comments:

Post a Comment