Friday, July 24, 2009

Did he REALLY just say that?

I'm so irked. (And sadly, I'm probably going to show my age in this one.)

Just not 5 minutes ago I was listening to my iPod in the kitchen, sweeping and blaring old MJ songs. I've always, always been one of his fans. I never camped out for tickets or bought everything his face graced. I wasn't one of those type fans. I just always respected him as a musical genius. (A little odd, but aren't all geniuses?) With the iPod being on shuffle, next up was, You Were Meant for Me, by Gene Kelley. If you haven't seen Singing in the Rain, then you're missing out on a romance classic. After that song, it was some George Strait. After that, Billie Holiday, some 80's, some more from the 40's, Jason Mraz, and Carly Simon. After that Carly, Britney kicked on.

{ Before I go on further I have to say that I like Britney. I really do. Her songs are great to work out to and sing on dance floor with your girls. But she's lost. She grew up in a malicious, tough, critical industry. }

When the lines, "Oh, it's so hot, and I need some air. And boy, don't stop 'cause I'm halfway there, It's not complicated, we're just syncopated,We can read each other's minds" came on, I literally stopped in my tracks. What the heck?! I don't want to hear her sing about having you know what when I'm in my house in a great mood sweeping my kitchen floor! I skipped to the next, and got some Justin. Now, I looove me some Justin. He is great to dance to. But this whole FutureSex/Love Whatever just didn't feel right at that moment. For the first time ever, I told myself that this was it. No more uploading songs that just talk about raunchy and inappropriate stuff.

What is wrong with us that we push a 16 year old girl to sing a song about hitting her one more time, baby? No wonder the girl is cuckoo! She didn't have a chance.

Now, I must confess- my days of listening to the Top 100 hits are long gone. I still have that station on in my truck, but only for the morning show. That's it. I don't know the newest songs at all. I don't know who T Pain, TI, Mr. T or whoever are. But from hearing friends and watching E!, I do know that some of their lyrics are wildly vulgar.

I know there are parental warnings (like most parents really care), but what ever happened to the glorious days of subtlety? What ever happened to,

"You were meant for me. And I was meant for you. Nature patterned you and when she was done, you were all the sweet things, rolled up in one. You're like a plaintive melody, that never sets free. But I confess, the angels must have sent you. And they meant you just for me." (Gene Kelly, "You Were Meant for Me"
or
The first time ever I saw your face I thought the sun rose in your eyes And the moon and stars were the gifts you gave To the dark and the empty skies, my love, To the dark and the empty skies. (Roberta Flack, "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face")
What ever happened to expressing your love like that?
Not
,
"Shawty you the hottest, love the way you drop it. Brain so good could've swore you went to college. 100K deposit, vacations hit the tropics'. Cause everybody know it ain't trickin' if you got it."

Did he really just say it's okay to be a prostitute if you're pretty? Isn't there a better way to tell a girl that you think she's pretty? If someone said that to me, I'd slap them! Not be flattered.

I don't get. Guess I'm officially old. Guess I'm not hip or with it since I don't know/like those songs. Guess I was born in the wrong era. I want to go back in time. Back when a boy would tell me I was pretty by singing, "She wore blue velvet. Bluer than velvet were her eyes. Warmer than May her tender sighs. Love was ours.." not by calling me a hooker, thankyouverymuch.

Happy old fashioned romantic song dancing with your guys,
xoxo Y

No comments:

Post a Comment