Monday, January 17, 2011

Romance your Hubby: Be a Sweetheart

With Valentine's Day right around the corner, I thought I'd share some ways that I show Southern Hubby I care for him and adore him. Some of these tips may not even be outright showy, but doing them often will definitely make him feel loved.

Talk him up.
Remember as wives, we are to lift our husbands up! I make it a rarity, if ever, that I go to my girlfriends with husband woes. I want the world to see him as he is- a wonderful man, provider, and my best friend. They never will if all I do is complain that he never puts his clothes in the hamper, or he went out to happy hour with his work buddies last Friday.


Wine and dine him.
It isn't only us girls that like to be romanced. They won't often admit it, but guys want to be swept off their feet, too. Send him flowers at work. Make him a sappy CD full of loves songs that mean something to only the two of you and leave it on the seat of his car. Put a romantic note in his lunch. They don't have to cost a lot of money, just something to show that you're thinking about him.


The way to his heart.
It's through the stomach, right? ;) I love to cook and bake for Southern Hubby. The other day, I made him some puff pastries filled with pudding. It wasn't his birthday. It wasn't a holiday. I just did it. And it showed him I cared. {I'll write the recipe for you in my next post.}

Be silly and sponatenous.
Once, I bought a bunch of little gifts that I knew Southern Hubby would like. They weren't anything major and they didn't cost a fortune (think DVD's, a raquet for squash, golf balls, ect.) At the front door I left a note telling him he'd be going on a scavenger hunt! For each clue he found, he'd get a gift. Of course the big gift at the end was ME! :) The clues were goofy and silly and I tried my best to make them rhyme. But what counted was that I tried! So catch him off guard. Be spontaneous! Make it your own special day and he'll feel so loved!


Be touchy-feely.
This should go without saying, but in the hustle and bustle of the everyday, you forget to touch. Pinch his bottom or lay a big kiss on him (longer than 10 seconds, or it doesn't count!) Do anything you think that will let him know you still think he's the cutest guy ever!

Pray for him.
Whenever I give Southern Hubby a kiss goodbye for the day, I whisper in my heart a little prayer. I pray that he makes it to work safely. I pray that he has a good day. I pray that he finds a minute to be with God. I pray that work is gratifying to him. I mainly just pray for him. I do it because I love him. He doesn't even have to know about this one. But do it because it reminds yourself that he is one of your most treasured earthly possessions.

                         **********

Of course, these tips won't work for everyone. When we read, "The Five Love Languages," I found out that Southern Hubby's love language is Acts of Service. He feels most loved when I do the thing that need doing, when I'm not being lazy around the house. He likes to feel taken care of. Well, being a housewife, I think that should be pretty easy! But sadly, I can get lost in doing things for the house and not necessarily him.

I'd encourage you to find out what you and your husband's love languages are and work towards developing habits to show him you love him. You can both take the test here.

Have fun! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment