Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Southern Traditions: Part 1

Southern traditions go deep.

They run through our bodies, in our blood, settling straight in our proud hearts. But somehow, some things are changing. Society, even in the South, is not as warm as it used to be. Gone are the days of saying hello to every stranger you pass on the street. People no longer make eye contact in public, for fear of being perceived as strange, creepy, or odd. Neighbors tend keep to themselves- consider yourself lucky if you know the people to the right and left of you.

I love that people from around the country expect Southern people to be warm and gracious. This is one stereotype I'd like to keep going. We should cherish the things that set us apart. What's wrong with holding parties for no reason? Why not strike up a conversation with the person behind you in line at the grocery store? Let's hang on to the things that have kept us a proud people.

10 Southern Traditions we need to keep alive:

1. Respecting our elders: The generations that have gone on before us know a thing or two about life. We shouldn't shake our heads at our grandparents, thinking, "Things aren't the same as they were when you were young. Catch up to the hear and now!" Honor and keep their memories precious.

2. Hats and white gloves: I have been very into dresses lately. I feel more feminine when I'm wearing a dress. Now, don't get me wrong, I love my jeans. But there's something about dressing like a lady that evokes the spirit of tradition within me. Add a sun hat and white gloves, and my goodness, I'd feel like Jackie O.!

3. Saying ma'am and sir: I believe I once told the story of how Southern Hubby, who hails from the Midwest, was often perplexed when I would answer anyone with this formality, even the girl from the McDonald's drive-thru. To me, it doesn't matter what 'position' a person has, everyone deserves the same amount of respect. This is especially important when addressing someone older than you.

4. Helping out a stranger: Once, SH and I were getting out of our car in a grocery store parking lot. We noticed a woman drop her wallet as she got out of her car. She did not notice it and began heading towards the store. We immediately went to pick it up to return it her. You could see the shock and relief in her face when we handed it to her. She then told us that she had just cashed her paycheck, and that wallet contained the only money she had in the world. She was there to buy food for her children. If you see someone in need of a hand, go offer your help. It won't take but a couple minutes and they will appreciate it more than you know.

5. Properly setting your table and *gasp* using real cloth napkins: When we got married, SH and I were so blessed to have gotten all the dinnerware and table linens we requested. For the first year of our marriage I set our table sparingly, wanting to save our 'nicer' things for company. But I soon realized that my family was just as important as any company that walked through our door. Why not make them feel special and pampered? Why not make every dinner an event? Use the things you deem 'for company' everyday. Those napkins were made to hold the crumbs from your grandmother's ham biscuits.

That's it for today! Come back on Wednesday for part 2! :)

Happy Monday, folks! Let's start the week off with a smile! :)
xoxo Y

No comments:

Post a Comment