Thursday, August 6, 2009

Monograms: Yours, Mine, Ours?

Being a Southern girl, I have an admitted penchant for monograms. Whenever I can, I like to emblazon my letters on my possessions. It doesn't matter what it is. If there's room, I can make it work.

However, I often wonder if there are unspoken rules concerning monograms. For example, how much is too much? A monogrammed headband, necklace, polo shirt and flip-flops...going too far? Does is scream, "Look at my initials! See how cute they are together?" Generally speaking, I like to limit my monograms to appear on just a couple select pieces, with one being descreet, like a signet ring. Personally, I do not like to call attention to myself or my attire. You do not want to be the loudest, most extravagant, most branded, most colorful, most anything in your group.

Another rule that isn't often discussed is one that I am particularly picky about. It concerns wearing a monogram/brand name that is not your own. Sweet readers, it is not my intention to make anyone feel badly, as this rule is not often followed, but I simply cannot wear someone else's initials. I just can't do it. I know that there are millions that adore Louis Vuitton and Gucci, but my name starts with a J, not an L or a G, I won't be putting those letters on anything of mine. My sweet and generous husband gave me a gorgeous Gucci bag for Christmas several years ago. I love it and use it often because it was a lovely gift. But I would have never purchased it on my own. This is why I don't own one of those "big C" Coach bags, but have a collection Kate Spades, who often embosses her name on the leather making it difficult to find. I much prefer a simple bag, in a single color, in a classic silhouette. I am not trying to impress anybody with brands and an array of letters all over my clothes. And besides, someone with good taste will always be able to spot another person with good taste. And for the record, good taste does not always equal 'most expensive.'


Classic. Simple. Me.


Loud. Obnoxious. Orange. Not me.


Timeless. Elegant. *swoon* Hermes. Grace Kelly. (who sadly is not me)

Tacky. Obvious. Definitely not me.

You will also never see me in shirt with the word, "GAP" slapped across my chest. You can go through my closet and not see one "Abercrombie," or "Polo," or "Tommy." And please do not even get me started on those Armani Exchange t-shirts. A/X?! No thanks.

However you will see the little horse and man, some whales, crocodiles, and a few scattered palm trees. (Whenever I can get around to reading my embroidery machine instructions, I will be purchasing the non-tagged J.Crew polos and embroider my monogram in place of an icon.) I try my best to be discreet about the brand I am wearing, therefore making it much easier to pair beautiful linen J.Crew summer slacks with a fitted boatneck shirt from Target. It is much more budget friendly to mix and match quality pieces with inexpensive ones. But always make sure that your more quality items are what the outfit is built around. Make that piece the highlight.

Hmmm... no, not so much.

I just spent the better part of two hours looking through my collection of etiquette and manners books to find the source of this rule. I know it is out there but I just cannot find it. If anyone has an idea, please let me know as it is driving me crazy.

What is your opinion on this? Where do you draw the line on monograms? I know I am probably in the minority on this one, but the only name brand I want to market is my own. ;)

Happy weekend! We are halfway finished with summer, Texas! Yay!
xoxo Y

No comments:

Post a Comment