Thursday, July 15, 2010

Skoy and Me

For all my whining and pleading about recyling and being green, there was one nasty, un-green thing that Southern Hubby and myself were addicted to- paper towels.

Now, when I say addicted, I mean you'd have to pry them out of my cold, dead hands. We used them for everything...as napkins, to wipe up spills, to cover items in the microwave, to dry our hands, to wipe the counters with...you name it.

Enter this article that was passed along to me via Twitter: 10 Things to Try Really Hard Not to Buy Again. Lord have mercy, you could have speared my heart when I read just how bad paper towels were.

Fact: If every household in the U.S. replaced just one roll of 180-sheet virgin-fiber paper towels with 100% recycled paper towels, it could save: 1.4 million trees, 3.7 million cubic feet of landfill space, 526 million gallons of water, and prevent 89,400 pounds of pollution.


Fact: About 900,000,000 trees are required to feed America's paper consumption each year, according to the Clean Air Council.



Fact: With over 90% of US households taking advantage of the convenience of paper towels we produce over 3,000 tons of waste each day.

Is that enough to convinvce you? It was for us! Now, enter my new best friend- Skoy Cloths. I won't list all the reasons why these are a much better alternative to paper towels, but they're 100% biodegradable, are reuseable, and are highly absorbant. One Skoy cloth is equivalent to 15 paper towels in an average home.

Now, I won't lie, I still have a roll handy in case of pet accidents and the like, but we've drastically cut our use.

I keep mine right by the kitchen sink in a cute little basket. Unassuming and handy. :) And the good news is that since I've brought these into our home at the end of May, we've only gone through ONE roll of paper towels. Seriously.

Alright, enough of my whining and begging. Go buy some and save a tree. :)

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment