Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Progress and a Three Mile Woman

Like I was telling y'all yesterday, I finished my cute chicken apron. After thinking about it in bed for a while last night, I decided I'm going to call her Petunia. A pretty name for a pretty lady. ;)

I'm telling y'all- this site is the best for learning how to embroider. Self teach, honeys!

But I digress, Petunia needed some eyes, the poor dear, so I had to re-learn the french knot, which is not as easy as I once thought it was. I don't know what happened to me and my embroidery skills in the past few months, but my french knots were not coming out as knots at all! They looked more like a knot with a bunch of thread hanging down. And I couldn't very well leave my best girl lookin' like this, now could I?!

Please excuse the wrinkly old hands. I swear, I'm 28. It's just this dry winter air! You believe me, don't you? Don't you????

So, after many, many, (many) tries and one needle poked finger later, I was finally able to give my little Petunia the blessed gift of sight.

Have you ever seen lovelier blue eyes?

I looked at all I had done and was amazed. My little Petunia had grown up so fast and finally she was ready to go out in that big, scary world. *sniff, sniff. I was so proud of myself, I jumped up to start wrapping this baby 'round my waist, but stopped dead in my tracks. Oh, what a bad chicken momma I was! I looked down to see that my cute little 'Tunia had no legs! Nothing to scratch the fresh dirt with, no claws to paint a pretty pink color when she's out getting a mani-pedi-...er, wait... a clawicure?? And I'd certainly left her nothing to walk on for those nights when all the other apron chickens get together for some hen gossip and checking out the hot rooster studs. If my little gal was ever gonna have a chance to snag her a cute rooster, I'd have to give her the best dang legs my little hands could embroider.

So, I started working, and stitching up a storm...

And about 30 minutes of trying to give my girl a leg up in the world, (get it?! a leg up...she had no...and I was trying to give....ok. I promise I won't do that again) I was done.

Now, my hubby once told me he was a big leg man. But I think that was before he calculated that the woman who was going to be his future wife, while very becoming, was only 5'5". The poor guy discovered that this charming Southern girl loved her some heels when she was in a sorority and very much immersed the college scene. But, once she left sorority row and found herself a dark haired, dapper gentleman that she knew she would marry, she immediately started dressing the role of the doting wife. Which meant very chic, classic, preppy shoes.

She amassed a fortune in driving mocs, top siders, ballet flats, loafers, and the like and wore them all over town. And that, my friends is how he found out that his lovely 5'5" Southern gal, was really only a mere 5'1". Which for him, meant no long, lean legs that go on for miles and miles. My little legs go on only about 1/4 a mile and then they're done. But he told me he still loves me as much as 2 mile woman! And I am just fine with that. ;)

Then Hubby saw Petunia's legs. He came into the living room where I was admiring my best gal, and said, "Now that there is a 3 mile woman!". So, I asked him if a 1/4th a mile woman wasn't good enough for him these days?!? And after a bit of snuggling, he was able to convince me that I was the only 'chick' for him.

So even though there's a plump, blue eyed, 3 mile songstress living in my house right now, I don't mind. Really. I'm not threatened at all! ......... But maybe for just a little bit, I should hang Petunia in my small pantry closet. Hubby doesn't really go in there ever....not that I care if he did. Really!

You believe me, don't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment