Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Apron Memories

I just read this at another homemaking site. Since I've been talking about aprons (and a chicken!), I thought it was a fun read. I've gotten this message before in my email box and I'm happy to see it pop up again. Thanks Domestically Inclined!

Mrs. Sarah Canon, Wearing a White Apron, Watching the Chickens Eat Their Feed


Y The History of Aprons Y


I don't think kids know what an apron is.

The principal use of Grandma's apron was to protect the dress underneath, because she only had a few. It was easier to wash aprons than dresses and they used less material, but along with that, it served as a potholder for removing hot pans from the oven. It was wonderful for drying children's tears, and on occasion was even used for cleaning out dirty ears.


From the chicken coop, the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks, and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in the warming oven. When company came, those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids. And when the weather was cold, grandma wrapped it around her arms.


Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, bent over the hot wood stove. Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron. From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables. After the peas had been shelled, it carried out the hulls. In the fall, the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from the trees.


When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds. When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto the porch, waved her apron, and the men knew it was time to come in from the fields to dinner.


It will be a long time before someone invents something that will replace that 'old-time apron' that served so many purposes. Send this to those who would know, and love, the story about Grandma's aprons. Or it can be a good history lesson for those that have no idea how the apron played a part in our lives.


REMEMBER: Grandma used to set her hot baked apple pies on the window sill to cool. Her granddaughters set theirs on the window sill to thaw.


Nowadays, they would go crazy trying to figure out how many germs were on that apron. I don't think I ever caught anything from an apron...but love. Y


With those sentiments in mind, I'd love to show y'all a book that I just bought for myself. It is EllynAnne Geisel's Apron Book, and if you don't have it, you must go get it! It is a treasure of stories and pictures of beautiful vintage aprons.

If you have not heard of Mrs. Geisel, (...and I hadn't until I read about her National Tie One On Day over at the fab Apronista's blog.) she is an author and the curator of Apron Chronicles: A Patchwork of American Recollections, a traveling exhibit managed by the Women's Museum of Dallas. And avid collector, she has over 400 vintage aprons. I'm praying that this exhibit comes near my side of the tracks soon. I would LOVE to see all those beautiful aprons...imagine the stories they could tell.

Another cool thing Mrs. Geisel has created is National Tie One On Day. On the eve of Thanksgiving, she encourages us to wrap a loaf of bread (homemade, perhaps?!) in an apron and tuck a prayer or note of encouragement in the pocket before delivering the bread to someone in need of spiritual or physical sustenance. Ok, now how awesome is that!? Of course, you have to be wearing a fabulous apron yourself!

I was able to finish my chicken apron yesterday, after a little self re-learning course in the french knot a.k.a. Miss Chicky's eye. I'm so happy it's over, but now I don't know what to get started on next! My sissy's 27th birthday is tomorrow so I think I'll whip one up for her. Being the loving sister that I am, I also got her some beautiful pearl earrings, and a super cute shirt from Vineyard Vines.

Alright folks, I've left you with plenty of links to keep your cute selves busy. Tomorrow I'll try to bring you some pictures of sissy's small celebration, my finished apron, and maybe a short story from the Apron Book, just cause I love it so much! :)

Y'all have awesome Tuesdays! We're almost in 2009- yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment