Saturday, December 27, 2008

Crafting with the Southern Housewife

Oh, how I wish it was the 50's and my mama was taught how to sew, knit, embroider and crochet. Sadly, she was a working woman from the age 18 on and had no time for my grandmother to teach her things that would be frivolous in her already busy schedule. So, when I set about learning these crafts I did not have my mother to turn to. My grandmother can sew and once taught me and my sissy how to crochet, but we were so young and I never once thought that it would be something I'd want to do. Back then, staying home didn't even enter my mind as a legitimate career. I was taught that when people asked you what you wanted to be when you grew up, the appropriate answer was "doctor", "lawyer", or "astronaut". It was never a "stay at home wife".

Sadly, my sweet grandmother has failing eyes and as much as she would love to teach me how to sew, she just can't. So, it was up to me to teach myself. When I wanted to learn how to knit, I enrolled myself in a class at the local craft store. When I wanted to learn how to sew, I signed up for the summer course at my community center. I learned the basics of embroidery from a fabulous sewing book as well as online tutorial videos that were very easy for me to understand seeing that I'm a very visual oriented person. Getting to watch someone do something is better for me than hearing someone talk about how to do it.

Something I absolutely LOVE making is a sweet, girly apron. I've made several since I started learning how to sew in the summer of '07, and only recently did I start making them for myself! They usually went to friends as gifts. So, it didn't take too much convincing to make another apron when I saw this ADORABLE little number. Oh goodness, I squealed with delight when I saw it! How could you not? That little chicken, the ric rac, the hand embroidery details, the peek-a-boo yellow trim at the bottom... all so sweet! I knew I had to have it- right now. But when I saw the price tag, I stopped in my tracks. In all fairness, Kerry is a supremely talented artist and seamstress and her aprons are full of creativity and attention to detail. Her beautiful work is such a wonderful crafty inspiration! Unfortunately, I just can't justify spending almost $100 on it, so I wanted to see if I could make something just as cute. I've been working on it since the beginning of December in between Christmas shopping, holiday parties, decorating and baking. I just finished the hand embroidery, and am currently working on sewing the ric rac trim. I've changed some of the details and am not going to sell it, so I hope it's ok that I make it!

On Sunday, I plan on working on it just a bit more. I'll take a couple pictures to post so that you can follow along with my progress. I'd love to see what sort of crafty things y'all are working on! Isn't that one of the best parts about being a 'domestic engineer'?! I just love all things crafty. I plan on passing this down to my daughter if I ever have one. It's a lost art and I just hate seeing it get lost in the shuffle. ;)


Here is what I have so far. I'll take another picture if I can get more done today! :)

Have a wonderful and restful Sunday, folks!

Update: Since I'm speaking aprons, I wanted to add a link to an AWESOME charity a friend of mine founded. It's called Three Twenty Seven Designs and is based on the scripture,

"for all of you that were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ."
Galatians 3:27

What sweet Chelsea is doing, is sewing chic aprons, and donating a portion of the sales to Attitudes and Attire, a non-profit charity, "dedicated to promoting personal growth for women seeking self-sufficiency." These women are homeless, come from abusive relationships, are single mothers who need a little help. They can't afford the clothing needed for job interviews. Attitudes and Attire provide, "the tools that raise self-esteem, promote ethics and build the confidence necessary to succeed in the workplace." What a great organization!
And how sweet is three twenty seven designs? Chelsea tied it all together with scripture- clothing yourself in Christ, clothing others in need, and clothing yourself with super cute aprons for charity! I love it! Chels is an awesome girl and I'd love it if you passed the word of what she is trying to do.
xoxo-Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment