Thursday, January 14, 2010

Five Things...


Yesterday, I talked about my newly revised daily schedule. In an effort to put some sorely needed energy back into my housekeeping, I figured a pretty schedule would help. I'm not one for change, but I notice that when I'm stuck in a rut, changing things up a bit helps to re-energize me.

If you noticed, there is a section there for "5 Things." This is something new that I added. I've read many times that writing down your goals increases the likelihood of accomplishing said goals by eighty percent! It makes sense- you must think about your goals, then write them down, which makes you re-think about them, and if you have them with you, then periodically looking at what you've written reinforces your drive to get them accomplished.

So, I figured a daily goal list might be a good idea. In my "5 Things" section, I write down the five things that MUST be done that day. These things are written in order of importance and are to be completed before the day is over. Sometimes I only have two things, sometimes I have all five spaces filled out. But, I keep it at five max- if there are more than five things that I deem more important than my housework, then I'm balancing way too many things on my plate. If you find this to be true, then start practicing saying the word, 'no.'

And remember these goals are not to be monumental tasks that can't be done in a day. The majority of the time, my five goals are not super critical, but things that might have deadlines. For example, I put things such as:

  • *writing thank you notes for Christmas gifts
  • *pick up Southern Hubby's dry cleaning because he's out of shirts
  • *call a utilities company after noticing a descrepancy on our monthly bill

These are the things that won't make or break my week, but are often forgotten or overlooked. These are the things I don't necessarily want to do, but must be done. I don't like to put these things off until the last moments of the day- checking them off my list first gives me a sense of accomplishment, even if the rest of my duties aren't all completed.

Try it today- it doesn't have to be on fancy stationary; it can be written on the napkin the Starbucks lady gave you this morning. The main thing is that you write them down. Review them every couple hours throughout your day.

And here is the link to my daily schedule. Again, you must have the downloaded fonts from Kevin & Amanda in order to get the same look. Thank you to all the gals with your suggestions. I hope this works. If it doesn't work for you, leave me a comment letting me know.

View hsc-daily-schedule-template-doc

View hsc-daily-schedule-blank-template-doc


xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment