Saturday, February 12, 2011

Being Authentic. Really?


The word 'authenticity' has been floating around a ton lately. I read about it on all the blogs I frequent. But what does that mean anyway? What is being authentic? I will be the first to admit I have no earthly idea. Late at night, when I'm trying to sleep, I try to form a list of what it means to me. It never comes.

But I've learned that as I age, actually being authentic comes much more easily. I think I do it without even trying. And I like that.

To me, being authentic means:
  • loving that I want to go to church each Sunday, but that I don't always make it.
  • recognizing that I am not as meek as God wants me to be.
  • getting a big zit on my cheek and reverting back to my 16 year old self-conscious ways
  • liking my dogs more than most people
  • being OK with the fact that I listen most to the oldies station and don't know the latest Rihanna song
  • dancing while I was the dishes
  • just realizing that forgiveness is one of the hardest lessons I'll learn
It doesn't mean trying to prove to others that this is me, but just being. Period. Just being. Just living. Just loving. That's all. And knowing that those that truly love you will love you regardless. To me, being authentic is loving yourself, even with the zits, even with the dancing, even with the unhip song repertoire.

Last week at church, we talked about grace. My priest said that grace means that God, "love us anyway." And isn't that what's most important? Despite all the crap we put ourselves through trying to be authentic, God loves us anyway.

What does being authentic mean to you?



PS Don't forget that the $75 gift certificate to St. Bernard Sports ends soon! Enter here.

No comments:

Post a Comment