Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Green Goodness

These days, it's about all I can do to get up off the couch. It's hot. It's humid. My allergies are making my eyes itch and burn. Pool water is a warm 94 degrees- the opposite of refreshing.  I never put on makeup anymore and I dread anything that requires me to use my blowdryer and Chi.

There is absolutely no good reason to be outside.

From time to time I'll have these fantasies of pouring myself a huge class of cold sweet tea and parking my rump on my apartment balcony. I see myself finishing up Eat, Pray, Love, fanning myself with an old J.Crew catalog and watching the melting sunbathers by the pool. It's this suburban girl's version of the sitting on a plantation veranda.

But once I step outside, the beads of sweat start forming on my forehead. I start frantically rubbing my allergy-ridden, bloodshot red eyes. I begin to hyperventilate because I've been without air conditioning (sweet, sweet air conditioning) for longer than two minutes. I'm a wuss and a big, spoiled baby. And I'm ok with that. I hate the summer heat. I hate living in Texas from June until October. But, really, what's a girl to do?

I can't wait until fall. I miss my cardigans and loafers. Until then, I comfort myself with big pitchers of sweet tea. And I make myself one of these from time to time.


How are you staying cool this summer?

My Favorite Green Smoothie

1 cup water and ice
1 big handful of baby spinach
1.5 cups of frozen mixed fruit (tropical blend)
2 heaping spoonfuls of chia seed gel
2 packets of Truvia sweetener

*blend well and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment