Friday, February 26, 2010

Having nothing at all...

*photo credit: Google Images

What would you do if you literally had nothing but the one person you loved?

This happened to my sister's friend, Claudia, just this week.

Her apartment building burned down, taking with it everything she owned, everything that brought her comfort. Praise God she escaped with her and her son's life, but the rest is gone.

This got me praying. This got me thinking. This got me feeling a tremendous amount of guilt. Here Southern Hubby and I are searching for a 3500+ square foot home when we don't even fill our current 2700 square foot home.

Do we really need it all? Does Southern Hubby really need that media room? Will I literally find no joy in life if I don't get those wood floors, or that granite topped kitchen island? Here is a single mother with nothing and I'm worried about wood beams on my ceilings. How incredibly selfish does that sound? It's quite embarrassing, really.

We will probably move forward with the move. Because, quite honestly, we're weak. We're selfish. I find unwarranted joy in 'things'. Things that I don't need. Things that won't last. Things that shouldn't make me happy, but do. In this past year, I'm finally coming to terms with my selfishness. My need to hoard pretty, expensive, lovely things. And I'm working on it. I don't think I'll ever stop loving things. With God's help, I want to depend less and less on them for my happiness. I think that is the first step.

If you're feeling even an inkling of this, I wholeheartedly recommend reading Shane Claiborne's The Irresistible Revolution: Living as an Ordinary Radical. It will immediately change your way of thinking- make you question your way of life. He challenges you to live the way Jesus would.


PS- Please keep sweet Layla Grace in your prayers. This beautiful two year old, who is suffering from Stage 4 cancer is in her last few days of life. Please pray for a pain free and peaceful return home.

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment