Wednesday, April 27, 2011

India.


After several months of praying and asking God for guidance, Southern Hubby and I have decided to forgo our yearly vacation and accompany our church on a mission trip to Karimnagar, India this October.

I'm terrified.

I've been to India before on one of SH's business trips. I was there a week; he was there a month. The experience changed me and I was never so homesick in my life. The country if full of a gorgeous culture and a generous people, but it's not America. I've seen firsthand the depravity and overwhelming poverty there.

Our five star hotel sat directly across from a posh country club. It also sat next to one of the biggest piles of garbage I've ever seen. Looking outside of my hotel room, I could see tents on top of the "landfill" and children playing and running barefoot.
 
Upon coming back, I often questioned why we are so abundantly blessed when the majority of others do not have access to food, clean water, education, adequate housing, etc. Why us? After many years of searching, God finally answered me- He wants us to share what He has so generously given us. Everything we have is not ours to keep.
 
Which is why we have to go. Even though I'm scared. Even though my stomach turns at the thought of the vaccines. Even though we need to raise $5000 to give to our missionary budget for flights, food, and hostel. We have to go. I have to give of myself to others that need it so much.
 
The picture above is of the 75+ fundraising letters we wrote and sent out. We don't plan on raising the full amount, so whatever is left over will come out of our 2011 vacation budget. Am I sad I don't get to spend a week on the beach sipping pina coladas and tanning? If I'm being honest, then yes. Very much so. But, even as scared as I am, I'm looking forward to connecting with the children in the orphanage we're working at. And I'm so fortunate to have the chance to leave a piece of my heart there- the very same one that God is still working on and changing.
 
"For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them." -Ephesians 2:10

PS. To those who are getting one of our letters, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your willingness to learn more about our mission and to help, either financially, with prayer, or both. I know we could not have done this without your love and support. xo

PPS. Dont forget to enter my prayer journal giveway. Winners announced next Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment